Monday, November 1, 2010

White Water Rafting

The morning started a bit hectic. We left as nine in the morning for the whitewater rafting company where David booked my trip, but the company had sighed me up with a different rafting company. They gave us some brief directions and we headed off further down the road and had to ask for directions one more time before we finally made it.

The rafting company’s location was convenient, located right next to the river.

I was the last customer to arrive. I quickly signed the “this is dangerous do not sue me paper”. And I was off to get dressed. I donned my first wet suit in my life. Seriously, I have never worn one before. I do not think it was that necessary either; the water temperature was not freezing.  It felt like donning a thick stretchy hide, and barely fit over my hips. Which have grown by the way, due to good food and little exercise. 

 A briefing than ensued going over how to hold your paddle, paddle, hold onto the raft and to brace yourself in the raft.


We then carried the raft down to a steep incline and hiked to the water’s edge followed by the instructor with the raft.

At the river, waiting were two kayakers, one with a waterproof camera strapped to his helmet.

After a few practice paddles I got moved to the front because the previous person had difficulty understanding English commands. 

Off we went, going first over some small rapids and then stopping in an eddie before going over a 3m waterfall, a practice run for the much larger one latter on.


Turning the corner, we traveled over some calm waters. I enjoyed looking at the flora. Native New Zealand plants look out of place for such a chilly and moderate climate. It feels like England but looks like the Amazon rain forest. Our guide took us over to the edge of the river and showed us the plant used as the symbol for the New Zealand team in the Commonwealth games. It is green on the top and striking silver on the bottom.

At the edge of the larges waterfall, we paused. This waterfall taller than the length of the raft would result in a full vertical fall.

 
Paddling forward, we neared the edge. On command, we slid to the bottom of the raft and grabbed the ropes on the side of the raft. I never remembered falling only swallowing water at the bottom. 



The rest of the rapids were small in comparison but we still had fun.

One of the rapids was small enough that we could stand up in the raft as we went down. 


Another of our prime video and photo opportunities consisted of paddling up to a 1m waterfall and submerging the front of the raft underneath the gushing water.  



At the end, we gently glided to shore, and I was assigned paddle duty due to being “vertically challenged”.

We ended the day with a photograph. Yes, I do look like an idiot in this photo. Don’t ask why I honestly don’t know.

Once back home, I donned my swimsuit and went snorkeling for my watch that I lost the day before. I found it at the bottom of the lake near the end of the jetty, still working and then swam 400 m to the bogy and back.

 

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on finding your watch! Rafting looks like so much fun! Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete