Saturday, November 27, 2010

Milford Sound part 1


From the lodge in the woods we traveled by bus to the Milford Sound. On the way I got to experience my first temperate rain forest, mirror lakes, and random tourist shops.

Our first stop was a fruit stand where you could buy homemade candies and dried fruits along with ice cream in which they mix in your favorite fruits.

Next, we stopped for gas where I bought a leather Australian hat. It was a lot nicer than the one I bought in England. It had thicker higher quality leather and plastic instead of number 8 wire for the brim support.

Lunch consisted of a venison pie at another tourist stop. The view over the lake was amazing, even with the clouds.


It was also rainy


The rain obscured the Mirror Lakes a bit, however we still got the idea.




The temperate rain forests of New Zealand are grown on only a few inches of soil over rock. Therefore, to stay on they intertwine their root systems to scale the steep mountain sides. This leaves all the empty spaces  perfect locations for waterfalls.


We then traveled through a hand made tunnel through the mountains to the other side to Mission Impossible music.

At the other side we stopped for a short walk through the forest were we saw some amazing stone formations.

I think the rock formations are amusing, the three holes in the rock remind me of an imperial scout helmet.

After our short walk, we arrived at our accommodations the Milford Wanderer.

Our room approximately and eight by five foot room was shared my three people, Mica, Christina and me. It also gave us a low level view of the water.


The Milford Sound while wet was beautiful. The waterfalls were in full swing. We experienced strong winds and close views of seals and penguins. We saw the  penguins, while kayaking around the sound, therefore I did not bring my camera in fear that it would get seriously wet. It was chilly. Especially since, I was only wearing my bathing suit.





Later I jumped from the top deck of the ship to go swimming
The water was freezing.

That night our dinner was crackling, pork, mashed sweet potatoes and green beans. We stayed up late playing connect four and due to my swimming experience I enjoyed two shots of Red Label whiskey.


No comments:

Post a Comment