Monday, September 20, 2010

Trip to New Zealand Arrival

The trip was mainly uneventful, except for the view. I took off from SFO at seven o’clock during sunset so there was a beautiful view of the clouds turning pink with the sun. Also, during the landing in Los Angeles the lighting in the sports stadiums made it possible to see small little people running about after an imaginary ball. Sadly, I forgot to have the camera next to me in those moments. However, on the landing in Auckland New Zealand two New Zealanders took pictures for me.


My Cousin once removed, David, picked me up from the airport and drove me to their apartment on coastline. Speedometers in New Zealand are in kilometers per hour. So on the freeway we were going 110 km/hr. It is just weird to see the numbers so high.


In addition, their row of apartments burned up in the early 20th century so they have a sophisticated fire alarm system. It amused me because it almost looks like the firealarms in US schools.



After I settled in David took me for a walk up Mount Victoria, one of the many volcanoes that make up New Zealand and Auckland. It contains a hidden gun turret, designed to be loaded while hidden, and pop out to take down enemy vessels. It has never been fired in self-defense. However, when fired once in practice it shattered all the windows of the houses nearby.

Mount Victoria’s view is amazing. From the top, one can see many of the local islands and the other volcanoes in New Zealand. One half of the New Zealand Navy, a total of two ships can also be seen. It might be a small navy but alcohol allowed on board unlike the US Navy. Also, from Mount Victoria the SKYCITY tower in the middle of Auckland can be seen and you can jump from the spire, in a harness, to just in front of the observation deck.

7 comments:

  1. Natalie, this is GREAT!! Thanks so much for sharing your experiences with me. I look forward to future posts.

    Love,
    Kaela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Natalie! Thank you for the update!
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've subscribed so now my e-mail should notify me of your adventures! I'm also under Adnama on this site. Have fun! - Amanda H.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to see that you are having a great time. Good writing! Looking forward to the cows.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great start. We look forward to hearing about the animals.
    Love, Gd and Gm

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natalie,
    Wow! What a great blog. Continue to have fun and keep us posted along the way. Love, Enriqueta

    ReplyDelete