Sunday, October 10, 2010

Week 3 Rotorua

Skydiving

Hi everyone, I am proud to announce that I skydived successfully in tandem from 15,000 feet.

I did it on Saturday at the Skydive nzone in Rotorua’s international airport


I was lucky because the weather for that day was iffy, cloudy with a few showers, and the pilot was not allowed to fly solely by instruments therefore there had to be a break in the cloud cover.


I got geared up in a skydiving suit harness, I honestly don’t know why I needed the cap on my head, and set off. I took off in the plane with a: sixteen year old boy, two instructors and a cameraman that was documenting the boy’s birthday. We barely fit in. Since I was dropping from 15,000 feet, I got to breath oxygen through a simple clear plastic tube that I could hold a few inches in front of my face.


Once we got to 15,000 feet the door opened my instructor Matt got me to the edge, I crossed my harms shaping my body like a banana and we dropped for 65 seconds through the air until the parachute was deployed. I never felt like I was falling, that feeling you get on roller coasters where your internal organs compact against your lungs never happened during my freefall. All I felt was the wind rushing past me at terminal velocity. What I really enjoyed was the parachute ride down because I did get that roller coaster feeling whenever Matt did a sharp turn to maneuver us to the landing site.

2 comments: